Lillie's Journey Home

Lillie is coming home. We will attempt to update it daily, but there are no promises! Please keep Lillie, Gill, and T. Walker in your thoughts and prayers.....and please say a little prayer for mom and dad who are on the frontlines of boy-rearing for three weeks. Also, check out the dropshots link on the right hand side of the blog for more photos.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Beijing Tour Day 2

The good stuff starts on Monday, in the meantime, our "vacation" is all we have to show. Today was meet the rest of our group and hit the main attractions of Beijing, Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City, and The Great Wall. They are very impressive places, now undergoing massive renovation because of the 2008 Summer Olympics. We attacked the Square and the Forbidden City with 1/2 million other people. There were many groups and many Chinese from other provinces who had never been to Beijing. There were some Chinese who had never seen westerners before and would stand close by and take pictures with us in the background. The place was huge. There was a police presence all around and a couple who had been here before said there was a noticeable difference from their previous visit. Evidently, any incident would look bad for the Chinese, so they are extremely weary of bad press.
We ate lunch at a place famous for Peking Duck. The walls of the restaurant had photos of people like B.B. King, and Evander Holyfield, to name a few.
Next, we had a brief orientation at the CHI China Office, they made everyone cry. Then we made our way to the Great Wall. Along the way, we passed the construction site of the Bird's Nest, the stadium for the Olympics 2008. It is very impressive.
The Great Wall is interesting. I had plans to go to the highest watch tower. There was only one I know of in our group that actually went to the tip and that was not me.....it was Lisa. I made it to the point where you could buy a commemorative stamp saying you made it. Lisa made it all the way. She said she only saw 4 others up as high as her and they were all skinny Chinese. Just click on the photos below to see our day.
Saturday, August 19, 2006

3 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, August 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi You Two! We are having so much fun following your adventures. It will soon be three of you in China, and we are very excited for that day to arrive. Thanks for the regular updates. We miss you! Love, Shell, Jeff and Will

     
  • At 9:50 AM, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lisa and Wade!
    I finally found a computer that I can use to follow your trip! I feel like I am in the remote mountains of PA (miniscule compared to the mts. of the Great Wall!) We have been talking about your trip with Jake and Jenna, telling them that T. Walker and Gill are getting their new sister (they're really excited and talk about the "baby sister" but we know they really have no idea what it's all about!)

    The pictures are great! Lisa, I cannot believe you went all the way to the top! It has to be terribly hot there and I can't even imagine the smog this time of year. I will be thinking of you guys all day as you travel to Nanning and wait the final hours until you finally see, and hold, beautiful Lillie B. I wonder how early my brother and sister-in-law will let me knock on their door tomorrow morning to use their computer?!! They still have a dial-up service, but at least I can see the pictures and they do come up pretty quickly.

    We'll be flying back to TX in 3 days and I'll check in on the boys, see if they want to come to our playdate on Friday. I'll be thinking of Gill on his first day of school, it's kind of neat that Lillie's "Gotcha Day" is on Gill's first day of school...

    Thoughts and prayers are with you, Lillie, and the boys....like everyone else following your journey I can hardly wait to see your new little girl!
    Take care!
    Dawn T.

     
  • At 11:21 PM, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi you two! ....almost three! I'm staying up late trying to see when you will post pictures of "Gotcha" ...but am fading ....fast....almost midnight. Your pictures of "The Wall" are great. Lisa, I can't believe you made it all the way up! Gary & I made it about 3/4. I couldn't believe all the Chinese women wearing high heel shoes climbing up the wall ... unbelievable! But, like you said, it's a different country. I'll check back in the a.m. It will give Kati and I a special treat in the a.m. to see you and Lillie. Until then! Our prayers are with you. Dawn G. & Kati (asleep) and Gary (asleep)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home